Home | Contact | Sitemap | 中文 | CAS
Search: 
Home │  About Us │  Research │  People │  International Cooperation │  Education & Training │  Papers
  Forum on FS
Conference
Forum on FS
Colloquium
Seminar
Lunch Seminar
Coffee Time
Advanced Course
KITPC Activities
Other activities
Has (the) Majorana really returned?
2014-07-10     Text Size:  A

Institute of Theoretical Physics

Chinese Academy of Sciences

State Key Laboratory of Theoretical Physics

前沿科学论坛

Title

题目

Has (the) Majorana really returned?

Speaker

报告人

Prof. Sankar Das Sarma

Affiliation

所在单位

University of Maryland

Date

日期

2014年7月10日(周四)下午3:00

Venue

地点

6620/New Building

Abstract

摘要

Ettore Majorana wrote an important paper in 1937 introducing the concept of Majorana fermions which are their own anti-particles. Neutrinos may or may not be Majorana fermions. Then Majorana himself mysteriously vanished in 1938 and was never seen again. Recent work in condensed matter physics indicates that there may be a very exotic manifestation of Majorana particles in ordinary sysyems made of semiconductors and superconductors. Thus, Majorana’s hypothetical particles may have finally been found in solid state systems 75 years after their prediction. In my talk I will explain the meaning of the question posed in the title and provide an answer for the question through a critical theoretical analyses of the recent experiments searching for the non-Abelian Majorana mode in condensed matter systems. I will also describe the significance of the question/answer discussed in this talk in the context of topological quantum computation which is fault-tolerant as a matter of principle and does not require any quantum error correction.

Contact Person

所内合作者

邹冰松

Appendix:
       Address: No. 55 Zhong Guan Cun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100190, P. R. China
Copyright ? Institute of Theoretical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, All Rights Reserved