Home | Contact | Sitemap | 中文 | CAS
Search: 
Home │  About Us │  Research │  People │  International Cooperation │  Education & Training │  Papers
  Forum on FS
Conference
Forum on FS
Colloquium
Seminar
Lunch Seminar
Coffee Time
Advanced Course
KITPC Activities
Other activities
Computing with Quantum Knots: Majorana Fermions, Non-Abelian Anyons, and Topological Quantum Computation
2011-06-03     Text Size:  A
Institute of Theoretical Physics
Chinese Academy of Sciences
前沿科学论坛
Title
题目
Computing with Quantum Knots: Majorana Fermions, Non-Abelian Anyons, and Topological Quantum Computation
Speaker
报告人
Prof. Sankar Das Sarma
University of Maryland
Date
日期
2011-06-03 PM 14:30 Friday
Venue
地点
ITP New Building 6620, 理论物理研究所新楼六层报告厅
Abstract
摘要

I will discuss the revolutionary new concept of topological quantum computation, which is fault-tolerant at the hardware level with no need, in principle, of any quantum error correction protocols. Errors simply do not happen since the physical qubits and the computation steps are protected against decoherence by non-local topological correlations in the underlying physical system. The key idea is non-Abelian statistics of the quasiparticles (called 'anyons' as opposed to fermions or bosons), where the space-time braiding of the anyons around each other, i.e. quantum 'knots', form topologically protected quantum gate operations. I will describe in detail the status of the subject by discussing the theoretical principles guiding the experimental search for the appropriate topological phases of matter where such non-Abelian anyons may exist. Among the most significant possibilities are certain even-denominator fractional quantum Hall states, exotic chiral p-wave superconductors, sandwich structures made from superconductors/ semiconductors or superconductors/insulators, and suitably designed cold atomic systems. In this context, I will also discuss the race to find the mysterious Majorana fermions in solid state systems, with the Majorana fermions being the simplest generic examples of non-Abelian objects in nature. I will explain how the subject of topological quantum computation synergistically brings together conformal field theory and advanced mathematics on one hand with materials science and quantum information on the other.

Introduction
介绍      
Sankar Das Sarma教授于1979年在布朗大学获得博士学位,1980年以来在马里兰大学任教。Das Sarma教授是马里兰大学的知名教授,获得“理查德普朗基物理学教授”称号,并担任美国联合量子研究所研究员以及马里兰大学凝聚态物质理论中心所长。

Appendix:
       Address: No. 55 Zhong Guan Cun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100190, P. R. China
Copyright ? Institute of Theoretical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, All Rights Reserved